Monday, October 8, 2007

Happy day of mass destruction!

Hello there readers,

As I am living with my parents right now, my productivity level has dropped to nil. Usually I spend my mornings involved in the incredibly non-productive routine of looking at my calendar and trying to decide when I will go to what archive and for how long. My mind gets so cluttered that when I try to remember what exactly it is that I was attempting to do in the first place, I can't remember anything anyway. So I give up and start reading some book that is loosely related to my dissertation topic in bed and fall into a deep sleep after only reading 5 pages or so. All of this happens before lunch time.

But this morning I had something concrete to do - I had a mission - I was to go to the post office and mail off some cds to some buddies lucky enough to receive mix cds from yours truly (could you be the next one to receive your "tunes by tuuri" cd?)

Anyway, I went to the post office expecting to accomplish SOMETHING today, but alas alack, I wasn't even successful at running a small errand, much less writing a complete paragraph for a grant proposal or skimming through a book...

Why was I unsuccessful? The post office was closed for a holiday.
What holiday?
Columbus day, or
day for which we celebrate the introduction of a host of diseases into the indigenous populations in the Americas which then decimated most of the people native to these areas.

Why are we celebrating this guy again?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the Venezuelans have it right - it 2002, they changed Columbus Day to be the Day of Indigenous Resistance. On this day, they "commemorate the resistance of the indigenous people against the conquerors".

Could-be-a-model said...

Maybe the post office was only closed in the South. I dropped off two Netflix DVDs yesterday and they got there this morning.

Anonymous said...

Rutgers libraries open. Hurray!

DSF said...

At least they don't close for lunch for 2 and a half hours like my post office and bank do!

Anonymous said...

Jim Reed says we celebrate it because the Italian-americans needed a holiday (like St. Patrick's day or something).